vertiginous possibilities of aberrational references

In other words, we don't know anything!

Name:
Location: Boone, North Carolina, United States

I am a husband and father of three. My wife is the very best part of me though I’m very poor at demonstrating that to her. My children are 13, 11, and 7, boy, girl, and boy. They delight me, thrill me, frustrate me and I love them. We live with Sadie, our adopted 8 year old German Shepherd mix. She is the greatest dog in the world, and exactly what we needed. I graduated with a non-teaching degree in English and minor in Ancient Hebrew. Very useful. I’ve been a baker, an appraiser, an editor, a construction worker. I dabble with computers and woodworking and the smell of warming dirt in the spring makes me itch to till the garden. I would devote my entire garden space to peppers (Anaheim’s!) and basil. Understanding the big picture is my fondest desire, and trying to impart that to my children and friends is my hope.

Monday, August 25, 2008

The grass is always greener...

I woke up today to septic problems. Well, not really. I've known we have septic problems for years now. Our house is old, framed out of wormy chestnut with a black locust foundation. The bathroom was added (hey ma! we can have indoor plumbing!) about 45-50 years ago. It's an old farmhouse...it has character. Character equates to issues. We love it anyway.
However, I still have problems with the septic. And today they became obvious. The short history is this: prior to our family occupying the house in January 1999 I don't think any of the previous occupants ever had the septic tank pumped. Somehow people tend to forget what they can't see directly in front of their face. It’s not a problem until it becomes a problem. Until it backs up in the tub, or fumes them out of the building, it conveniently doesn't exist. So my drain line is failing, from the house to the tank. Maybe my drainfield too. Maybe the pipes have collapsed or cracked. We'll find out as we dig.
Most problems are like this. We notice the potential of them becoming large and expensive, or painful, or deadly, but right now things are still working so we ignore the problem. We assume that things are ‘ok’ and often too late we find out that they are not. Things fall apart people, they never fall together.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home